The Men’s Ward and the chapel were part of the late middle age charity institution of St. Pieter’s Hospital. After a merger in the 19th century, the St. Pieters and Bloklands Hospital offered poor women and men shelter in the women’s ward and the Man’s ward. When the guesthouse complex was demolished in 1907, the men’s ward and chapel remained. Building elements that were of value were placed in Men’s Ward, such as the spiral staircase. In the Men’s Ward, the 22 boxbeds of the hostels have been preserved.
For rates, see here